Monday, July 13, 2020

Music Preview - Cougar Boi

I currently have 6 albums in the works. It sounds like a lot but only 4 are actually complete and it also isn't too much since those albums took 2 years to make. Regardless, you can only access these from my telegram channel at the moment.

Here's a shorter piece I made back in 2019. It's minimalist in style and electronic in genre and only a minute 10 sec in length called "Couger Boi"


*Copyright: GavOnyx 2020, all rights reserved*

I enjoy it quite a bit. The progression of the melody is very interesting. In the first 4 measures in an intro that lays out the chord progression. The second four measures is the interesting part because I create the rest of the song using just the melody created in those 4 measures. We'll call this 4 measure phrase the initial phrase. The next four measures uses the melody from the first measure of the initial phrase. the four measures after that (we're on the 13th measure now) uses the melody line from the second measure of the initial phrase, and so on for the rest of the song.
So while the piece may be short, it remains impressive as I was able to take just one phrase and create an entire piece of music using it. And it is this interesting composition technique that is why I decided to show you this particular piece. Enjoy.